Why do I still believe in astrology?

Why do I still believe in astrology?





   Believing or not believing in astrology is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong in this. But, I am that kind of person who know astrology is a pseudoscience, and that its accuracy is not proven till date and I even agree on it; but still I believe in astrology and check my horoscope every morning. 

  While anyone may question upon its authenticity, let me put that into perspective. Can you prove Mona Lisa is a great painting? No. You just can't, because while some may like it, others may not. Just because it's a piece of art. Similarly I perceive astrology not as a science, but as an art. And that's why it's not proven. And it doesn't matter. What matters is your belief.


  Ofcourse, the horoscope I read daily, doesn't always comes out to be true just because it's a macroscopic view. It just gives something to believe in. For example knowing that "I would ace a test in the future"  after getting bad grades in an exam will be everything I need at that time!

  Sometimes after reading a horoscope, I try to avoid the prediction. I purposely try to make the prediction not work. The other day, my horoscope told me that I should expect a faraway trip. So I was trying not to go too far from home. But then my mom told me to buy some groceries and I had to go to the other side of the city. This made the prediction come true. (And yeah outskirts of the city is the best faraway I could reach in lockdown!). But these predictions always get themselves right no matter how hard I try to get them wrong. And Master Oogway (From KungFu Panda) had said "One Often Meets His Destiny On The Road He Takes To Avoid It."

  I'm totally okay with being mocked for believing in astrology. I push the fact that we all have different beliefs, values and ideals – I take it as someone's opinion and not much else. Just like one of my friends who always tells me to stop believing in this illogical crap.


  And it's kind of funny. We all know and that some events on Earth like the seasons and the tides are influenced by the Earth’s orbit and tilt and by the position of the moon. Knowing this physics, why don't people believe that distant planets can affect human behaviour and other earthly events?

  Sometimes even I get puzzled by the idea that my life reflects deep cosmic order. But this is what make it a bit comforting. Perhaps people who are born at the same time on the same day could be affected in a similar way. And if anyone faces problems, horoscope can provide guidance. 

  And astrology predictions are many a times meaningless. But this is because diversity of billions of humans is crammed in 12 broad groups.

  For those who see astrology as a irrational belief, let me tell you that not all of irrational beliefs are harmful. I am curious enough to dabble in astrology, but don't take it seriously enough to let it influence any of my life decisions. Most of the time I read horoscopes and forget about it a minute later. I don’t really believe that everything needs a scientific explanation and I don't let astrology influence my life, so I don't pay attention nor care about the scientific scrutiny.


  Astrology is just like reading the review of a film before you go and see it — it doesn't change the film itself, nor your enjoyment or interpretation of it, it just gives you a heads-up to a few of the things that are about to happen. After all there are a lot of things that can't be explained.

  If you have any opinion, feel free to comment it below, I respect that belief as much as you respect mine.

  And in case if you still wonder, Why there are planets in astrology?, this link might help.
Old Post

Sharing is caring!

2 Comments

To track replies to your comment, click the 'Notify Me' checkbox

  1. It's completely okay to believe in astrology , I agree with whatever you said , astrology is not a superstition or anything as you said it's a kind of art , some predictiobs do come true some may not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It's a superstition that astrology is superstition!

      Delete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form