Why is 0.99... equal to 1?

Why is 0.99... equal to 1?




Why is 0.99... equal to 1?

  As a math enthusiast, I was very curious in my school days (coz now I am in college!). In the 9th grade, once our algebra teacher taught us how to represent recurring decimals into p/q that is, in rational form. And you know what rational numbers are; any number in p/q form where p and q are any integers and q is not equal to 0.

  Here is how to represent them:
For example 0.77...
Let 0.77...=x
∴ 10x     = 0.77...  × 10
∴ 10x     = 7.77...
∴ 10x-x = 7.77... - 0.77...
∴ 9x       = 7
∴ x          = 7/9
But x is 0.77...
Thus, 0.77... is 7/9 in p/q form.
Similarly, 0.33... is 3/9, 0.55... is 5/9. 

  If we again divide the p/q form, we get the original recurring number. Like, 0.55... is 5/9 and 5÷9 is again 0.55...

  So my curious mind asked me what about 0.99...? We will express 0.99... in p/q form as the above procedure and we will get 9/9. So, 0.99... is 9/9. But when we divide 9/9, we get 1 and not 0.99... As we know 0.99... is approximately equal to 1. But the above procedure is contradicting this statement.

  I was confused. Even though 0.99... is approximately equal to 1, I got 0.99... equal to 1.  I asked my algebra and geometry teacher too. They appreciated my doubt but weren't able to justify it. 

  Soon then, the next day, we had a seminar in our school conducted by Sir Vinay Nair. He is the founder of SOVM and has an expertise in mathematics.

  Then I asked him my doubt and he gave me a satisfying answer. He said that 0.99... is very close to 1 but not equal. And we follow decimal system of numbers where numbers from 0 to 9 are taken. Thus there is a problem with 0.99... when it comes to p/q form. In binary, the same problem would have been with 1. 

  Thus 0.99... is not equal to 1 in maths but in decimal system, Yes, it is.
Old Post

Sharing is caring!

Post a Comment

To track replies to your comment, click the 'Notify Me' checkbox

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form